Translate

Friday, July 31, 2026

Walking Through History: A Visit to the Chilenje House National Monument

 By Valerie Chanda Chibuye


A family portrait of the Kaunda family at the Chilenje Community House

On 28 July 2026, I had the pleasure of visiting House No. 394 (formerly House No. 257) in Chilenje, Lusaka—a national monument and heritage site that was once the home of Zambia's first Republican President, Dr. Kenneth David Kaunda, and his family during the country's struggle for independence. The Kaunda family lived there between 1955 and 1960, making the house one of Zambia's most important historical landmarks.

Although I have lived in Lusaka for much of the period since 1996, this was my very first visit. Ironically, there was a time in the early 2000s when I lived only a short distance away in Libala. Despite passing through the area countless times and watching television documentaries about the house, I had never actually stepped onto its grounds.

An Unexpected Detour into History

My visit was completely unplanned.

I was driving to Chilenje B School for the first time and relied on GPS to guide me. To my surprise, the route passed directly by the Chilenje House National Monument. As I drove past, I realised this was an opportunity I should not miss.

After completing my business at the school, I left my vehicle in the school parking area and walked back to the heritage site. It was close enough to reach on foot, and I was filled with both curiosity and excitement.

The monument sits within a secure gated compound with beautifully maintained lawns, mature trees, three historic houses, and a restored Land Rover displayed under a carport.

As I entered, I noticed another group of visitors finishing their tour. They appeared to be foreign tourists, judging by their accents. One elderly gentleman even asked whether I was Ghanaian. When I explained that I was Zambian and that it was my first visit, he smiled warmly before continuing on his journey.

Stepping into the Kaunda Family Home

After the other visitors departed, the guide collected my entrance fee and handed me a ticket before introducing me to a large family portrait of Dr. Kenneth Kaunda, his wife Betty Kaunda, and their nine children—seven boys and two girls.

He patiently shared the names of each child and updated me on their current status. Both Dr. and Mrs. Kaunda have since passed away, as have five of their sons.

Walking into the family home felt almost surreal.

The sitting room has been carefully preserved with period furniture, including a modest dining suite and upholstered sofas. Black-and-white photographs line the walls, one showing the Kaunda family sharing a meal with visitors around the dining table.


It was easy to imagine the conversations that may once have taken place within those walls during one of the most significant periods in Zambia's history.

A Kitchen That Brought Back Memories

The room that touched me most was the kitchen.

Rather unexpectedly, it reminded me of my maternal grandmother's kitchen in Chimanimani Compound in Kabwe.

The old wood-burning cooker, complete with an oven, immediately drew my attention. Nearby sat a large metal basin—icibafa cha kuwachishamo no kusabilamo in Bemba—and a smaller metal bucket used for ferrying and storing water for cooking and drinking.

Resting on one of the shelves was a charcoal-heated iron.


These were not simply museum exhibits.

They were familiar objects from my childhood visits to my grandmother's home. Standing there, I found myself connecting not only with Zambia's political history but also with my own family heritage.

The Story Behind the Houses


As we toured the compound, I noticed similarities between the Kaunda house and the homes I remembered from my childhood.

I asked the guide why these houses had two bedrooms, unlike my grandmother's modest one-bedroom house.

He explained that these homes were built during the early 1950s for indigenous Zambians employed in relatively senior positions within the colonial administration.

The houses retained external ablution facilities—a common architectural feature of the period.

It was also within this very house that Kenneth Kaunda was arrested in March 1959 for his nationalist activities.

The neighbouring houses now form part of the broader heritage site.

Preserving the Story of Zambia's Independence

The neighbouring museum is devoted to Zambia's independence struggle.

Through photographs, written narratives, and historical artefacts, visitors encounter the stories of well-known leaders as well as the many ordinary women, men, girls, and boys whose sacrifices contributed to Zambia's freedom.

One particularly moving exhibit is Dr. Kaunda's handwritten account of the night of his arrest, accompanied by a typed transcription.

Seeing his own handwriting made history feel remarkably personal.

More Than a House

My visit reminded me that heritage is about much more than preserving buildings.

It preserves stories, values and identity.

The Kaunda family itself reflects an important chapter of Zambia's social history. Raising nine children was common among many Zambian families from the 1950s through much of the 1980s. Today, family sizes have reduced considerably, illustrating how our society has evolved over time.

The restored Land Rover parked in the compound tells another fascinating story.

During the independence struggle, it symbolised political mobilisation and hope. Ironically, the original vehicle was later destroyed during the 1990 food riots in Lusaka, which ultimately contributed to the political changes that led to the end of UNIP's rule in 1991.

The replacement vehicle now stands as a reminder that political history and economic realities are often deeply intertwined.

Living History

Perhaps what impressed me most was not the buildings or artefacts.

It was the guide.

His knowledge, enthusiasm, and passion transformed the visit into a living history lesson. Facts became stories, and stories became experiences.

He reminded me that preserving heritage is not only about conserving physical structures. It is also about passing knowledge from one generation to the next.

A Place Every Zambian Should Visit

I left the Chilenje House National Monument with a renewed appreciation for the sacrifices made by Zambia's independence heroes and heroines.


Our history lives on in these buildings, in preserved household objects, in photographs, in handwritten documents, and in the stories shared by dedicated custodians of our heritage.

Whether you are a Zambian or an international visitor, I highly recommend taking time to visit this remarkable place.

For me, it was far more than a museum visit.

It was a journey into the heart of Zambia's story.

And as I walked away, one phrase echoed in my mind—the words that continue to define our national identity:

"One Zambia, One Nation."

 


No comments:

Post a Comment